The Indian Cricket team didn’t make it to the Super Eight. Everybody is expressing the disappointment, the most vocal being the media.
take a look at the stastitics below ( source : cnn.com — 02/08/2007 )
- 47 percent of Indian children under the age of five are either malnourished or stunted.
- The adult literacy rate is 61 percent (behind Rwanda and barely ahead of Sudan). Even this is probably overstated, as people are deemed literate who can do little more than sign their name.
- Only 10 percent of the entire Indian labor force works in the formal economy; of these fewer than half are in the private sector.
- The enrollment of six-to-15-year-olds in school has actually declined in the last year. About 40 million children who are supposed to be in school are not.
- About a fifth of the population is chronically hungry; about half of the world’s hungry live in India.
- More than a quarter of the India population lives on less than a dollar a day.
- India has more people with HIV than any other country.
Why is nobody talking about this , why isn’t the media highlighting these problems ? WHY ?
I am a die hard cricket fan and a very big supporter of Indian Cricket Team. But i also understand that on any given day, the best team wins and our’s was not the best. But does this qualify to be the national issue , is this the only issue that needs to get all the attention and the focus.
People die because they cannot get 2 meals a day and we fight about Why India didn’t qualify for the Super Eight ?