1. Public investment in agriculture and infrastructure, which has increased appreciably over the past five years, will be stepped up further
2.It has brought comfort and hope to crores of our farmers
and their families by (i) increasing the MSP and procurement prices;
(ii) by waiving loans to the tune of Rs 65,000 crore; (iii) by increasing threefold
credit from banks and reducing interest rates on crop loans; and (iv) by extending irrigation facilities.
3. Setup a National Farmers Commission
4. We will expand schemes for improving well-being of farmers and their families
5. Every small and marginal farmer in the country will
have access to bank credit at lower rates of interest.
While the massive loan waiver scheme has already been
implemented and 3.68 crore farmer-families have benefited from it,
the Indian National Congress now pledges to extend interest
relief to all farmers who repay bank loans on schedule.
To ensure that farming becomes a profitable occupation.
1.Programmes for agricultural diversification, agriprocessing and rural industrialization will be pursued systematically. Dairying, aquaculture, fisheries,
2.The special needs of crops like tea, coffee, rubber, spices, cashew and coconut will be met.
3.A renewed emphasis will be placed on wasteland development and afforestation.
4.The Indian National Congress will implement comprehensive crop insurance schemes and will also
5.Minimum Support Price (MSP) and procurement will be ensured at the doorsteps of farmers.
6.All controls on the free movement of farm commodities and processing of agricultural products and all
7.To ensuring that farmers get, at a very minimum, market rates for the land that is acquired for industrial projects.
8.To given farmers an option to become stakeholders in such industrial ventures. As a matter of
9.The Land Acquisition Act, 1894 will also be amended to ensure that the interests of land-owners are more than adequately
To make India’s farmer debt-free, the BJP will:
1. Waive agricultural loans.
2. Set up a commission to study the entire gamut of farmers’ loans and come up with an
actionable solution to the deepening crisis within six months.
3. Set a maximum ceiling of 4 per cent interest for agricultural loans to farmers from banks.
4. Introduce a pension scheme for aged and helpless farmers.
5. Make agriculture profitable by reducing the cost of inputs, enhancing yields and reviewing
the present method of determining prices.
6. Implement a Farm Income Insurance Scheme through which both price and produce
will be insured. In the event of loss of crops, farmers will be compensated under this
scheme so that they do not suffer any loss of income.
7. Promote nature-friendly cultivation and incentivise organic farming to arrest soil quality
depletion. Special marketing assistance for organic produce.
8. Introduce value addition schemes to reduce wastage and invest in food-processing units
which will generate jobs for rural youth.
9. Create irrigation facilities for an additional 35 million hectares of land in five years: This
will generate rural jobs as well as benefit farmers. Drip irrigation will be promoted along
with better water management and use of check dams.
10. Ensure quality power, seeds and other inputs.
11. Heavily invest funds in agriculture to reverse the trend set by the Congress-led UPA and
make the farm sector an equal engine of growth along with industry and the services
12. Strengthen National Rural Bank and allied services.
13. Promote horticulture, floriculture, pisciculture and poultry for generating additional jobs
and supplementing incomes.
14. Create additional grazing land and encourage the maintenance of ponds and water
LAND ACQUISITION FOR INFRASTRUCTURE FARMERS INTERESTS WILL BE PROTECTED
The BJP will adopt a National Land Use Policy which will protect the interests of farmers.
Farmers will be compensated at market rates for any land acquired for infrastructure purposes. The BJP will not allow the conversion of fertile farmland for industrial/commercial projects or Special Economic Zones.
The entire issue of Special Economic Zones and acquisition of land for industrial use will
International Trade Agreements
The BJP shall fight against the protectionist trend which is emerging in some developed
Our Governmentwill renegotiate all such past commitments that are inconsistent with national interests, especially to ensure food security and affordable health care. We will not hesitate to roll
The BJP understands the critical importance of retail trade in the context of employment
Quality Power Supply to Farmers
1.Agricultural transformers will be separated, and power with stable voltage
and will be guaranteed; farmers will be compensated by the Lok Satta
Government for motors burnt on account of voltage fluctuations.
2.Villages will be guaranteed 24hour power supply through decentralized distribution.
3.Additional funds will be granted to enhance the quality of power distribution.
‘Akshaya’ – Credit to Farmers and Tenants
Farmer Controlled Market Yards (‘Rythe Raju’)
AgroIndustries to Guarantee Crop Prices