The National Rural Health Mission has already begun to make a noticeable impact and will be implemented
with an even greater sense of urgency. The Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) introduced by the Congress-led UPA Government offers health insurance for poor families. Expenditure on health is a
major cause of indebtedness, particularly in rural areas. The Indian National Congress pledges that every family living below the poverty line will be covered by the RSBY over the next three years. Every district headquarters hospital will be upgraded to provide quality heath facilities to all.
1. Set up a National Regulatory Authority for private hospitals, nursing homes and special
care facilities to ensure quality services, affordable fees and prevent/punish malpractice.
2. Ongoing work on setting up six additional All-India Institutes of Medical Sciences in various parts of the country, which were proposed by the NDA Government but not acted upon by the UPA, will be expedited. Similar institutions will be set up in other
3. Incentives and disincentives will be introduced for State Governments to improve the quality of primary health care, maternal health care, and child health care.
4. Targets will be set for achieving significant reduction in maternal and infant mortality
5. Preventive health care by way of inoculation against diseases and dissemination of
6. A national programme will be launched to vaccinate adults and children against all
7. Substantial investment will be made in promoting Ayurved as an alternative therapy.
8. Clean drinking water is one of the best barriers against common but often fatal diseases.
Quality Health Services
1) All Primary Health Centers will work round the clock.
2) They will be equipped to deal with deliveries and other emergencies
3) 30 – 100 bedhospital for every of 75,000 people
4) MMR vaccines to all infants to protect from these diseases.
5)Every district will have a super specialty hospital. In order to access quality health services, patients will no longer have to travel outside the district.
Free and Universal Health Care to All (Aarogyaraksha)