We are sure you know about the unjust verdict in Bhopal. The punishment for killing 20,000+ people in theworld’s worst industrial disaster has been reduced to the equivalent of a road accident. Seven persons, including Keshub Mahindra, who knowingly approved cost-cutting measures compromising the safety and disaster mitigation in the plant, who knowingly approved an inferior technology that resulted in this disaster, have been let off on bail.
Add to this the fact that the compensation was paltry and the real perpetrators [Warren Anderson] are getting away scot free.
Indian lives cannot and should not be seen as cheap, click here to send a FAX to the Indian PM (http://action.bhopal.net/fax.php)
. Let him know that you don’t agree with this. Let him know that you expect better of him.People around the world are angry. Angry at the Indian Government for betraying its people; angry that the world’s largest democracy has succumbed to the power of the corporation; angry at corporations and Corporate bosses for their callous indifference to human suffering; angry at our legal system, and our pliant judges who refuse to be judged themselves.
Organise:LET THIS ANGER AND OUTRAGE NOT GO TO WASTE.
Take action for justice in Bhopal, and to reclaim our democracy.
Press conferences and seminars
Protests outside CBI and/or Central Government offices in India, outside Indian embassies
Meetings to strengthen laws against Corporate Crime, and for speedy compensation and rehabilitation of victims of pollution.
You can also write or call the Prime Minister –
ADDRESS – The Honourable Prime Minister
Government of India
South Block, Raisina Hill,
New Delhi, 110 011.
PHONE – (011) 23018939, (011) 23012312, (011) 23018668, (011) 23015470
Why he has failed to take any action despite being the minister in charge of the CBI and despite making promises three times to do everything within law to hold to account those responsible for the disaster and for environmental contamination.
- Mr. Singh has failed to initiate extradition proceedings on Warren Anderson and Union Carbide COrporation despite being ordered to do so in July 2009 by the court.
- Mr. Singh has failed to take action against Dow Chemical for bribing Indian agriculture ministry officials to register their toxic pesticides.
- Mr. Singh has actively encouraged Dow in selling absconder Union Carbide’s technology to Reliance Industries.
- Mr. Singh has failed to set up an Empowered Commission on Bhopal to execute rehabilitation schemes
- Mr. Singh has failed to direct CBI to pursue Dow Chemical to enforce the appearance of Union Carbide USA in court to face trial.
For our supporters outside India please write or call the Indian Embassies, consulates and High Commissions around the world —-