I’m hurt, I’m tired, I feel defeated, I feel cheated, I feel let down, I feel disappointed, I feel dejected. It’s a feeling which words can’t describe. Why does it have to be this way ? Why can’t I trust my own people ? Why can’t I believe my own people ? I feel a lump in my throat. I can’t stomach this feeling.
- A young girl is kidnapped and raped, the guilty don’t feel any remorse. No one to arrest them, no one to prosecute them. Why ?
- A disaster that happened 27 years ago, the whole world witnessed this ? Yet, the guilty are not punished. Why ?
- Elections are fought, votes are bought, next 5 years are spent recuperating the money. Bloody hell, ministers have turned politics into a business and yet there is no stopping them. Why ?
- A school teacher is accused of being a maoist, tortured, everyone knows about it. No one reports it, no one condemns it. Why ?
- There are schools in every village, or at least 4 walls there. However, the schools don’t have teachers. If they have the teachers, then they don’t have kids. Education is a fundamental right and yet when the right is not available, no one is held accountable. Why ?
- Kids die in the hospital because the hospitals lack the basic amenities to take care of them on a timely basis. This is completely un acceptable. The entire country should be held accountable for this. But not even the local authorities are questioned. Why ?
- A country that can’t offer a single meal a day to it’s citizens, what is it really proud of ?
- People have to travel miles to just fetch a pale of water, what is the country proud of ?
It’s heart breaking. It’s heart breaking and it’s heart breaking.
There are serious short comings, lot of negativity around us, there are hardships, there is corruption, and then there is the freedom, the independence, the rule of law, the rights given by the constitution of India.
The freedom to express, the freedom to protest, freedom to celebrate, freedom to share, freedom to worship. Yes, sometimes this freedom is exploited, misused but by and large this is what keeping the country going. There are also individuals, ordinary individuals who do extra ordinary things in their life, that impact a whole society, a community. India is proud to have such individuals who with sheer determination, their passion and commitment have not only excelled in their life but have also served as an inspiration to the society, the community, the entire country in some cases.
I myself have been extremely privileged to have met few such individuals and i’m sure you must have come across such people in your life. A Ganesh Pogula, a Mallesham, a Vijay Anand, a Katari Srinivas, a Revathi, a Balaji Sampath, a Dr JP, a Prashant Bhushan , a Nikhil Dey, a Medha Patkar, a Venugopal , a Himanshu, a Praful Kumar, a Srinivasan and many other friends who I’ve personally met are heroes, leaders in their own way from whom I draw inspiration, motivation, courage, optimism that it’s not the end of the world and there is still hope.
- Hope that we can question the authorities
- Hope that we can stop the injustice
- Hope that we can fight the corrupt
- Hope that we can contribute to the change
- Hope that we can still be part of the system ( however broken it is ) and yet fight it and reform it
- Hope that we can someday be really proud of our country
- Hope that roti, kapda aur makaan become every individuals right that they can enjoy
- Hope that human sensibility, human emotions, moral values prevail.